This one-day introductory winter skills course is perfect for people with no winter walking experience who would like to extend their summer activities to the high mountains in winter. We will discuss winter kit requirements, ice axe and crampon skills. On all our courses weather and snow conditions will be an important start to the day.
Some of the winter skills you will have gained at the end of the day are:
- Kit choice. What to take for a day out in winter
- Relating weather, snow and ice conditions to route choice
- Learning how to use the ice axe and crampons correctly
- Some basic navigation and avalanche awareness/route choice
- Depending on weather and time we may ascend one of the Munro summits in the area.
A reasonable level of fitness is required for people joining this course. Some Summer hillwalking is definitely beneficial.
Venue: Northern Cairngorms
Dates: On demand
- 1 person: £170
- 2 people: £190 (£95 per person)
- 3 people: £210 (£70 per person)
- 4 people: £240 (£60 per person)
- 5 people: £260 (£52 per person)
- 6 people: £300 £50 per person)
Please note: All course content is governed by weather and snow conditions on the day. It is subject to change & alteration.